[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Jan 2 12:48:03 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

On 02/01/2008, at 10:41 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 02/01/2008, at 11:45 AM, Trent Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps google could provide a little URL checking service of whether
>> they thought it was adult safe or not, becuase they already have a-
>> lot
>> of crazy scalable infrastructure - but I'm waiting for the law suits
>> for mis-listing :)
>
> They already do.  There's a preference setting in Google which
> indicates
> whether you want censored search results, which defaults to "on".
>
> I suspect the fact that you had no idea it existed means you've
> probably
> never looked for it, which probably implies that you don't care
> about it.
> Which, funnily enough, places you in the same bucket as 99% of the
> Australian Internet-using public :-)

Thanks for that complete attempt at demolishing my intelligence ;) I
am fully aware of this.

I was more referring to providing a publicly bashable service to
simply say "yes or no" to inappropriate content.

I suspect if you started hitting this with an Australian-wide filter
they might get a bit upset.

Regards,
Trent