[AusNOG] FTTH - Dreaming?

Damien Coxall klownism at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 09:46:23 EST 2008

Hi All,

Pardon me for weighing in a bit late here, but there's 2 things I've
just got to say.

1. Curtis, congratulations on having the balls to stand up and say
something (at least somewhat) positive about Telstra.

2. I love how everyone is so happy to go on about Telstra's massive
profits and government subsidies but conveniently ignores how much they
give back (even if it's not by choice)

Scott so kindly pointed out the link to the financial results, here's
what I found with a quick scan thru.

Telstra has payed out a 14c dividend for the last 2 years, IIRC the gov.
still owns just under 50% or thereabouts, making a dividend of around
$3B, add to that the $1.4B or so they payed in taxes last year and we're
looking at nearly 4.5 Billy per year over the last 2 years.*

Anyone wanna run the numbers on how much the gov. made while Telstra was
still a government dept. with a proper monopoly? I'm willing to wager
that it would dwarf the figures above (taking into account inflation and
the like)

All that and we want to sit here and complain about a measley $800 mill
over several years, c'mon guys, lets get real.

Anywho, that's just my 2.5c, take of it what you will (for the record, I
don't love Telstra, I just don't feel that they are entirely evil).

* Please don't pick at my maths, I'm coming off the back of a long night
of dealing with a big Optus outage and should be in bed, not reading
AusNOG posts.

Cheers,
Damo!

!
Duct tape is kinda of like the Jedi Force,
It has a dark side, and a light side, and
it holds the world together
!