[AusNOG] FTTH - Dreaming?

Tom Sykes tom.sykes at nec.com.au
Sat Aug 16 21:46:10 EST 2008

I particularly liked this comment.

³an FTTH network would cost essentially nothing to maintain²

I¹m sure we¹re all keen to hear the secret. Maybe he can speak at next
year¹s AusNOG ;-)

ts

On 16/08/2008 1:52 AM, "McDonald Richards" <macca at vocus.com.au> wrote:

> AusNOGers,
>
> While working on the early hours of a Saturday morning as I know so many of us
> do I stumbled across this gem of an article. I¹d love to know who actually
> edits and fact checks this junk before they publish it online.
>
> http://business.theage.com.au/business/fibre-to-the-home-a-musthave-only-gover
> nment-can-provide-20080814-3vr0.html
>
> Some of the quotes are absolute gold.
>
> ³The Federal Government should build and control a FTTH network capable of
> speeds of at least 100 megabits a second. This would require a capital
> expenditure of about $15-20 billion but this cost is easily justified.²
>
> ³The Government should maximise public use of a FTTH network by charging a
> modest annual administration fee of $50-100 but nothing for actual use. This
> would cover the network's administrative and minimal running costs.
> (Maintaining our copper network reportedly costs a lot more - about $600
> million a year.)²
>
> ³A FTTH network would give Australians free national phone calls and fast
> access to the internet. And its applications would have obvious social and
> commercial benefits.²
>
> In fact I think I had a good chuckle at almost every paragraph. Don¹t even get
> me started on the technical points! With the cost analysis of 98% FTTN
> coverage done by Pipe coming it at ~16 billion I¹d love to know how the author
> of this article believes an FTTH network can be built by the government for
> ³about 15-20 billion². They didn¹t even reference the total population
> coverage and there¹s only a 5 billion dollar window in that highly scientific
> cost estimate ­ which is more than Labor plan to contribute in total to FTTN!
>
> I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.
>
> Macca

This email may be confidential and/or privileged. Only the intended recipient may access or use it. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and notify NEC Australia Pty Ltd promptly. NEC uses antivirus software but excludes all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment.
Please consider our environment before printing this email.