[AusNOG] FTTH - Dreaming?

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Sat Aug 16 01:52:09 EST 2008

AusNOGers,

While working on the early hours of a Saturday morning as I know so many of
us do I stumbled across this gem of an article. I'd love to know who
actually edits and fact checks this junk before they publish it online.

http://business.theage.com.au/business/fibre-to-the-home-a-musthave-only-gov
ernment-can-provide-20080814-3vr0.html

Some of the quotes are absolute gold.

"The Federal Government should build and control a FTTH network capable of
speeds of at least 100 megabits a second. This would require a capital
expenditure of about $15-20 billion but this cost is easily justified."

"The Government should maximise public use of a FTTH network by charging a
modest annual administration fee of $50-100 but nothing for actual use. This
would cover the network's administrative and minimal running costs.
(Maintaining our copper network reportedly costs a lot more - about $600
million a year.)"

"A FTTH network would give Australians free national phone calls and fast
access to the internet. And its applications would have obvious social and
commercial benefits."

In fact I think I had a good chuckle at almost every paragraph. Don't even
get me started on the technical points! With the cost analysis of 98% FTTN
coverage done by Pipe coming it at ~16 billion I'd love to know how the
author of this article believes an FTTH network can be built by the
government for "about 15-20 billion". They didn't even reference the total
population coverage and there's only a 5 billion dollar window in that
highly scientific cost estimate - which is more than Labor plan to
contribute in total to FTTN!

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Macca