[AusNOG] Aus isp security teams?

Eric Appelboom eappelboom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 22:40:05 EST 2008

Hi,

I was security team lead for a South African ISP for the last nine years and
am pretty new to the Aus environment. On the subscriber side, is it fair to
say that aussie isps are connectivity focused and lack on adding customer
services and security? I spent a lot of time ensuring our customers were
protected, we allowed customers to control their nas port acls and we went
as far to scan subscribers twice a day to ensure that their default vendor
router passwords were changed and used BI tools to identify account
anomalies. Its quite odd to find that AU ISPs do not bother to SMS or email
customers when approaching their bandwidth cap but rather let them consume
what they want and charge high rates. For us it was all the small services
that made the difference, for example we used to update bandwith accounting
every hour and include usage breakdowns.

How many WiMax pilots are on, its strange to see the ISPs holding back
investments on closing the last mile.

I am part of the Microsoft security response alliance which is a group of
security contacts from major ISPs around the globe who are able to respond
to global events and notice that we have no aussie members. If you are a
interested and carry decent number of subscribers it would be great to get
some ISPs on board.

Do any of the ISP's have their own security teams, I suspect that most ISPs
outsource or subcontract work rather than managing security operations,
metrics and risk themselves?

Hope to network a bit..
Cheers
Eric

http://www.linkedin.com/in/eappelboom

--
E.W.J Appelboom
CISM CCSA CCSE MCSE MCP CISSP CEH A+ CCNA SEC+ CISA MCSA(SECURITY) CGEIT