[AusNOG] What does an IPv6 broadband service look like?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Aug 3 20:02:00 EST 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Tim,
> I've got dual stack ADSL at home too, but, this doesn't really answer my
> question - what is the typical consumer level dual stack service going
> to look like.  What are the assumptions people are going to make and

I've been playing with IPv6 stuff recently and one of my questions is what
the hell client-side DNS names are going to look like.

How are people rolling forward/reverse DNS in the sparsely-used IPv6 world?
I am completely ignorant about this and pre-occupied elsewhere, so I accept
the possibility that its been solved in the operational world. :)

* Some kind of dhcp/ddns based name update scheme?
* Just ignore it?
* Just "faking" DNS zones - ie, a hacked up server which will return v6 records
  for names based on translation rules, eg a.b.c.d-dynamic.isp.com <-> a.b.c.d ?

Adrian