[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 1 16:34:19 EST 2008

On 01/08/2008, at 3:41 PM, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> There are two reasons why SIP via NAT is a bad idea:
>
> - Indeed, the SDP packet has the IP address of the media termination
>  points in it. Which will give the famous one way audio if it
>  doesn't get through. STUN to the rescue? Re-invite to the rescue?

Session Border Controllers - we use Acme Packet (as do a number of
others).   They massage SIP and make it work.
Brilliant pieces of work they are.    They get around all of these
problems and solve NAT pin hole closing issues etc as well as all
kinds of fixups as well as working as very clever firewalls to protect
your softswitch.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia