[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 1 14:29:55 EST 2008

On 01/08/2008, at 1:47 PM, Geoff Huston wrote:

> After a decade of progressive NAT deployment, about the only
> applications
> still doing the address in the payload thing are the brain dead
> dinosaurs. I suspect that the list beings and ends with ftp these
> days, because if
> you do it today your novel application is just going to be fatally
> broken and
> will never manage to achieve any form of critical mass in broad use.

SIP does it, so people like us spend big bucks on hosted-nat-traversal
devices that "undo" the damage so that consumer VOIP does work.  I
suspect larger, gruntier version of these are in our future for things
other than SIP.

> And if you want us to head into the realm of application level relays
> instead, then thats a future that simply spins us back to the 1980's,
> in which case those of us who are after some future for the Internet
> are pretty much stuffed, as that future really is the Death of the
> Internet (tm).
>
> So if it is to be a choice, then choose carefully.

As I keep saying "history never repeats, I tell myself before I goto
sleep".

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia