[AusNOG] What does an IPv6 broadband service look like? WAS Re: IPv4 Exhaustion

Paul Foote paul at hostnetworks.com
Fri Aug 1 14:17:25 EST 2008

Pandoras box: You just opened it!

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft
<mmc at internode.com.au>wrote:

> What DOES an IPv6 broadband service really look and smell like?

It looks as pretty as a picture and smells like roses! ;)

I think the first few years are going to be very exciting to see what/how
ISP's offer v6 service, and I have a feeling that there will be a lot of
innovation and improvements before the general public settles down on a
"standard"

It's not that easy to map our existing ingrained views on an IPv4 broadband
> service onto a v6 or dual stack world.

We will see dual stacks and tunnelling for a while, realistically its going
to be a long time before anybody will want v6 only services.

What IP ranges do customers get with IPv6?  /128 and NAT/Proxy?  /96? /64?
> /48? etc

/48's are generally wide enough for devices to just use the subnet given to
them by their ISP as a prefix and use their MAC address on the end for easy
address management, but this could be considered "wasteful". Given the
amount of space even giving every household a /48 I doubt there will be any
run outs in my life time *touches wood*.  NATting/Proxying will be a bigger
debate then subnet sizes given a fair chunk of the reason us nerdier types
want v6 to hurry up is so we can have every device on a public address.
Personally I hope CPE manufacturers will focus their attention towards
firewalling for security rather then relying on NATing.

> Do they necessarily get a static subnet?  Why/Why Not?  What implications
> does it have for your internal IGP?

If they get a static subnet then do they get to play with reverse mappings?

I'd like to see CPE handle this, so that way if Joe blogs wants to change
the recordings on his v6 connected PVR he dosnt need to know much other then
hitting up the web page on recorder.blogsy26.isp.com.au :)  Maybe ISP's
could run slave zones updatable by the CPE as well just incase?

> How will the transition from v4 to dual stack to some interim step to v6
> only go?

The million dollar question. No comment!

I know a lot of the geeks will go "well, obviously a static /48 with our own
> controllable reverse mappings" but on a LARGE scale with mostly non-geek
> home users then what exactly does it look like?

I think alot of that question will

What do the CPE vendors need to support?   What do we need to support?

Router advertisement / solicitation stuffs, id love to see some automated
DNS for forward+reverse mappings (maybe having the ISP host this and have
the CPE do some sort of NOTIFY actions for changes?). I am extremly curious
as to what the vendors have up their sleeves, as there will most likely need
to be some new protocols and technologies developed before v6 his mainstream
to utilise the possibilities and make the idea of switching to v6 something
that mum and dad users are going to look forward to.

Paul.