[AusNOG] What does an IPv6 broadband service look like? WAS Re: IPv4 Exhaustion

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 1 11:48:55 EST 2008

To change direction a little here to focus this on something other
than NAT:

One thing that is on my mind and we have internally been struggling
with is:

What DOES an IPv6 broadband service really look and smell like?

It's not that easy to map our existing ingrained views on an IPv4
broadband service onto a v6 or dual stack world.

What IP ranges do customers get with IPv6?  /128 and NAT/Proxy?  /96? /
64? /48? etc
Do they necessarily get a static subnet?  Why/Why Not?  What
implications does it have for your internal IGP?
If they get a static subnet then do they get to play with reverse
mappings?
How will the transition from v4 to dual stack to some interim step to
v6 only go?

I know a lot of the geeks will go "well, obviously a static /48 with
our own controllable reverse mappings" but on a LARGE scale with
mostly non-geek home users then what exactly does it look like?

What do the CPE vendors need to support?   What do we need to support?

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia