[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Aug 1 01:41:01 EST 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> Does ANYONE in their right mind actually think I WANT to put some or any
> (excluding DSL modem) of these devices on public addresses?  Really?  If

Please excuse me if I'm wrong but it seems like you are equating
'publically accessible' to 'publically addressable'.  They need not be the
same thing as per earlier parts of the thread.  I would not allow my
appliances to be publically accessible but I'm fine with them being
publically addressable.

The discussion seems to have looped at this point.  So I'll end with two
points:

1.  NAT != security

2.  Firewalls for the home are readily available.  A sensible default
ruleset can be set on the device by the manufacturer.

> As for IPv4 exhaustion - can someone please get some sanity and pull
> back some of the address space given back in the days when Yoda was
> playing soccer with Jesus for Jerusalem?

Oh it's been tried.  Tried and tried and tried.

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"