[AusNOG] Changing reverse DNS on interface /30s

Campbell, Alex Alex.Campbell at dtdigital.com.au
Fri Aug 31 11:20:21 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting a certain troublesome IP transit provider
(let's refer to them with a pseudonym like, say, AS2764) to set useful
reverse DNS entries on the /30 between our router and their router.
We'd like the reverse DNS for the address on our interface to be
something potentially helpful like
ge-0-0-3.border2.190cit.dtdigital.com.au rather than something generic.

Their engineers claim they can't do this because both of the addresses
are physically on their router (provably untrue) and because doing this
would impact on their ability to account for traffic on those interfaces
(laughably untrue).

What is the standard practice here?  No other providers we've ever
worked with have had any issues with doing this.

Alex