[AusNOG] Pipe Networks pullout from AAPT Datacentres - what now?

Stephen Baxter Stephen.Baxter at staff.pipenetworks.com
Sat Sep 23 08:01:55 EST 2006

Just in general I would say to any ISP:

- that locating your business with any organisation that operates in a
non carrier neutral fashion is a bad way to go;

- you will limit yourself for choice in a whole range of areas;

- any operator who sees their co-lo merely as means to get more revenue
from other service (which is fine) but relies on the fact they can get
extra revenue to make the co-lo facility operate at an appropriate
commercial level will potentially act in the worst interests of their
customers.

Guys - get to neutral facilities that allow other carriers to enter,
offers cross connects to people on reasonable basis that should include
licensed competent operators installing the cables. I am sure we can all
recount stories of data centres that have turned into rat's nests
because the operator had a free for all policy at one time.

PIPE can help you - contact us.

This is a bit like the APNIC IP address medicine that all ISPs have to
take some stage - it is expensive and tastes a little bitter at first
but is better in the long run.

Cheers,

SB

--
Stephen Baxter
Technical Director/Co-Founder - PIPE Networks (ASX:PWK)

Winner Australian Telecommunications Users Group:

- 2006 for 'Carrier of the Year'
- 2005 for 'Best Communication Solution for Large Business'

Peering,IX points and dark fiber in Australia.
Largest peering network downunder.

phone : 07 3233 9800
fax   : 07 3220 1800
web   : www.pipenetworks.com